GNU make enhancement contribution

From: buff
Subject: GNU make enhancement contribution
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2009 13:58:16 -0700

Hi Paul (and others),

As part of my work at Boise State University and
Hewlett-Packard's Boise labs, I have made what I believe to
be valuable enhancements to GNU make. I'd like to contribute
my changes.

I wrote a paper describing my work:

    http://cs.boisestate.edu/~buff/files/amake.pdf

It's only eight pages long, with three of them being figures
and bibliography. Here's the abstract:

    A new software-build tool is described, which adds
    automatic dependency analysis to GNU Make. It monitors
    commands executed, programs executed, shared libraries
    opened, files accessed, current working directory, and
    environment-variable values. The problem and the
    solution's iterative development is presented as an
    example of practical software engineering.

Please tell me if you are interested in these changes.

I have not, yet, modified the texinfo documentation. If you
would prefer to read about my changes in that format, tell
me and I'll do so.

Thanks.

-- Jim

Department of Computer Science     Hewlett-Packard Company
Boise State University             11311 Chinden Blvd.
1910 University Drive              Mail Stop 333
Boise, Idaho 83725                 Boise, Idaho 83714
address@hidden             address@hidden
(208) 426-3567 [voice]             (208) 396-5465 [voice]
http://cs.BoiseState.edu/~buff/