RE: Using environmnet variables in make

From: John Calcote
Subject: RE: Using environmnet variables in make
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 09:50:04 -0700

Kaylan,

There are two contexts for the export keyword here. Make supports an export keyword, and the shell also support an export keyword. These two contexts are separate and not related to each other in any way. When a *command* uses export, its context is only within the shell assigned to run that command.

This is why you need to ensure that both the export command, and the following command that uses the exported shell variable are both executed by the same shell. Since each command is executed by a separate shell, you need to use a semicolon and an optional backslash. If you don’t want to use a backslash, you can simply append the two lines into one like this:

test:

                export QA_STEP=start; touch ${QA_STEP}

Outside of *commands*, the word export is used to communicate that a *make* variable should be exported to child processes of the current make process—so that make variable will be available to child make processes – like this:

export QA_STEP_MAKE_VAR=start

test:

                touch $(QA_STEP_MAKE_VAR)

Also note the difference in dereference syntax. Make variables are dereferenced by make before the command is passed to the shell by using $() syntax, whereas shell variables are dereferenced by the shell after it receives the command, by using the ${} syntax.

John