Re: make cannot resolve "$$(@F)" in openvms

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: make cannot resolve "$$(@F)" in openvms
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2009 08:08:10 -0500

On Thu, 2009-03-05 at 23:13 -0800, xiangdong Li wrote:
> I got the gnu make package from the GNU ftp site, which is the newest
> version, v3.8.1. I built it on the openvms/I64 v8.3 successfully when
> followed the build instructions.

There is no 3.8.1.  You mean 3.81.

> I encountered the problem when make the following makefile:

> the error as below:
> $ make -f makefile.vms install
> make.exe;3: *** No rule to make target `$(@f)', needed by `[--.bin]a.exe'.
>  Stop.
> %NONAME-E-NOMSG, Message number 00000002
>
> I am sure this makefile works well on linux.

It won't work on Linux with GNU make 3.81.  You need to add this
pseudo-target:

        .SECONDEXPANSION:

to your makefile if you want to use the secondary-expansion feature,
starting with GNU make 3.81.  See the GNU make manual and NEWS file.

 http://www.gnu.org                      http://make.mad-scientist.us