Re: White Space Problems--Again

From: Stephan Beal
Subject: Re: White Space Problems--Again
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 23:18:41 +0100

On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 10:49 PM, Tom Browder <address@hidden> wrote:
> A survey of folks who actually rely on the current Make behavior on
> white space versus those who find it awkward and non-intuitive would
> be interesting.

While i do find the non-trimming behaviour odd on the surface, it
really is the only "generically correct" solution. i have indeed had
cases where this caused me Grief, and have in fact had one case where
it was just what i needed (it's the only way to get a token comprised
only of spaces).  It is, whether we like it or not, documented and
ancient behaviour, and i would hate to see it go. Maybe an option like
.AUTOSTRIP might be interesting, but i can't see myself making use of
it.

--
----- stephan beal
http://wanderinghorse.net/home/stephan/