Re: Mixing grouped explicit targets rule with static pattern rule

From: Nithish Chandran
Subject: Re: Mixing grouped explicit targets rule with static pattern rule
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2021 18:39:49 +0000

Hi Paul,

Please allow me to respond. We're using static pattern rule to create object
files and were concerned about the situation discussed
here<http://make.mad-scientist.net/papers/advanced-auto-dependency-generation/#unusual>
 , where .d files could be corrupted if the build is killed at the wrong moment
since make is not aware that it is creating .d files in the recipe and would
not delete it when the build is killed. While there is a solution for this
problem, we wanted to investigate options as well, that's when we came across
grouped targets. Letting make know about the .d file being generated in the
recipe would prompt it to delete the targets (.o and .d) if the build is killed
during recipe execution.

We were able to use normal pattern rules along with grouped targets, we're not
sure if it is good idea to expand the scope of creating the object files since
we don't want to create any files that we don't intend to. That is the reason
we wanted to check if there are any plans to support combining group targets
with static pattern rules.

Thanks,
Nithish