Re: [Help-nano] Need help compiling mano ...

From: Chris Allegretta
Subject: Re: [Help-nano] Need help compiling mano ...
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 12:49:41 -0500

On Wed, Feb 27, 2002 at 11:21:58AM -0800, Chris Odum wrote:
> When trying to compile nano under FreeBSD 4.5, after running configure and
> typing make, I get the following message:

> gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I. -Iintl -DLOCALEDIR=\"/usr/local/share/locale
> \"
> I/usr/local/include    -g -O2 -c cut.c
> In file included from cut.c:27:
> proto.h:68: conflicting types for `strcasestr'
> /usr/include/string.h:86: previous declaration of `strcasestr'
> *** Error code 1

Hi Chris.  There are a few patches that need to be applied to nano in
order to get it to compile cleanly under FreeBSD.  I found a copy of
these at

ftp://ftp2.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/ports-current/editors/nano/files/

Or, there is also a prebuilt package of nano 1.0.8 for FreeBSD in
ftp://ftp2.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/packages/editors/

This issue should be resolved for version 1.0.9.  Basically the
development team has to decide whether to add a check for strcasestr
when compiling nano (which used to be broken under Linux), or if that
does not happen just rename nano's strcasestr function to something
else.  If I don't get any feedback on the development list, it's likely
it will just be the latter.  Regardless, you should be able to get 1.0.8
for your system and 1.0.9 should compile out of the box for you.

Chris A
--
Chris Allegretta        http://www.asty.org

"Share and Enjoy" - Douglas Adams, 1952 - 2001