[Help-nano] Character encoding and set whitespace

From: Manuzhai
Subject: [Help-nano] Character encoding and set whitespace
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 10:27:17 +0100

Hello there,

For my co-worker, I was just trying to find out if there was mode that
displays whitespace characters. I found the set whitespace option in
the /etc/nanorc on my Gentoo system and added the characters
recommended in the comments there (ISO-8859-1 187 and 183,
respectively). I tried to add these into the file by using ALT +
number (I'm connecting through PuTTY from a Windows system; PuTTY has
UTF-8 set as its character encoding). My env has no LC-type variables
set. However, when I add in the characters (which looks like it's
working fine, although there are some issues when trying to backspace
through them), nano subsequently complains when starting about not
being able to read the line. I inspected the nanorc file using Python
and was shown that it has \xc2\xbb\xc2\xb7, and tried changing it to
\xbb\xb7, but that didn't help (it shows something like an unknown
character).

At this point, I'm not sure what to do. I've changed the whitespace
chars to ">.", but that's obviously less than ideal, as my co-worker
uses it to inspect Python source files. What part of my setup is
breaking here? How can I communicate to nano that the nanorc is in
UTF-8 (which I suspect is the problem)?

Any help much appreciated, cheers,

Manuzhai