Re: [Help-nano] how to make it default so that nano wraps lines at 80 co

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Help-nano] how to make it default so that nano wraps lines at 80 columns
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2016 12:45:30 +0100

On Sat, Nov 12, 2016, at 21:17, shirish शिरीष wrote:
> Hello Benno,
>
> First of all let me take opportunity to thank you for creating and
> maintaining nano for so long.

It was Chris who created nano, and has been maintaining
and extending it for so many years.

> It seems you took over rein somewhere in
> Jan./Feb 2014 according ot changelog.gz at /usr/share/doc/nano

I have been fixing bugs since the beginning of 2014, yes,
but I have been "given the reins" (been officially appointed
the maintainer of GNU nano) somewhere last August, shortly
before the release of 2.7.0.

> > If you run '/bin/nano --ignore --fill=80 yourfile', does it
> > then correctly wrap at eighty columns?
>
> Yes this correctly wraps at 80 columns

Okay.  So there is nothing wrong with nano; it works correctly.

> but then why doesn't it do it
> with the same option in .nanorc

Somehow your .nanorc is not being read?  Try running
'strace nano 2>TRAIL' and type ^X to exit nano.  Then
run 'grep nanorc TRAIL | grep -e etc -e home' and paste
what it says.

Did you compile nano yourself?  If yes, what --prefix
and other options did you use?  Or are you running
Debian unstable?

> [$] type -a nano
> nano is /bin/nano

It's strange that you don't have a /usr/bin/nano, when
you are on a Debian system.

Also, please run 'grep set /etc/nanorc' and paste that.

Benno

--
http://www.fastmail.com - Access your email from home and the web