Re: Re: GNU Nano on Windows

From: Adam Záhorský
Subject: Re: Re: GNU Nano on Windows
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2020 20:23:57 +0200 (CEST)

I've sent this e-mail about Nano on Windows earlier today and I was told to specify it and reply to this address.
My original e-mail:

Hello,
I'm on Windows and I'm trying to setup the GNU Nano editor. I've downloaded the NT 2.5.3 release and I was told to copy the cygwin1.dll file into system32.

Is that necessary? Nano works fine without it and I don't really understand why do I have to do that.

So my question is: Do I have to copy the cygwin1.dll file into the system32 folder to be able to use Nano?

Cheers
-Adam

Now to specify, I've downloaded the 2.5.3 version of Nano for Windows from here:

https://www.nano-editor.org/dist/v2.5/NT/

And I've read this article, which told me to put the cygwin1.dll file into my system32 folder. Once again to clarify, I'm on Windows and I want to know, if I have to put the cygwin1.dll file into the system32 folder, because Nano works fine without me doing that. I'd also like to know, what is the purpose of the DLL file, because I'm still very new to this.

Best regards
-Adam