Re: Commenting several lines

From: Seb
Subject: Re: Commenting several lines
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2022 07:31:11 +0100 (CET)

Hi Benno,

The keystroke you are looking for is M-3 or, in your case, <Esc> <3>.

Aaahhh... Yes... Thank you.

I was probably influenced by Tab, which works both on lines and on selected blocks. I'm not sure this behaviour should be extended to commenting (ie making # or % act like M-3 if a block is selected), but perhaps it's worth a thought.

https://www.nano-editor.org/dist/latest/nano.html#Nanorc-Files
The function keyword is 'comment', located right after 'unindent'.

Right. As you pointed out, my keystroke was wrong so I should have looked in the section regarding nano's behaviour, not the one about nanorc.

I search "M-3" in this online man page and found only one appearance:
10 Building and its Options
[...]
--disable-comment
Exclude the single-keystroke comment/uncomment function (M-3).

So really the right place to look for the shortcut is the cheat sheet at
        https://www.nano-editor.org/dist/latest/cheatsheet.html

Seb.