help-recutils

Re: [help-recutils] recsel --join with multiple fields

From: Jose E. Marchesi
Subject: Re: [help-recutils] recsel --join with multiple fields
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2018 13:03:34 +0200

Hi Héctor.

    Is it possible to include multiple fields in the recsel --join option
    ? If not, that's fine, I guess I will figure it out how to solve my
    recsel needs with this limitation. I can't remember if join by
    multiple fields/columns is a common practice in SQL and I didn't find
    any example of that kind in recutils documentation.

    Thank you in advance for any info or orientation.

--join accepts only one field, which should be defined as a foreign key
in the referring record descriptor.  Something like:

%type: Abode rec Residence

This will make Abode a foreign key referring Residence's primary key.
Since primary keys are limited to single fields in recutils, it follows
that foreign keys should also be restricted to a single field and
therefore joins are likewise limited.

What are you intending to do anyway?