[Help-smalltalk] Regex module finished

From: Luisa Lualdi
Subject: [Help-smalltalk] Regex module finished
Date: Fri, 04 May 2001 18:17:49 +0200

I've completed the skeleton that Dragomir had sent me a month or so ago;
compatibility with 1.95.4 should be decent, if not complete.  I also
added the ability to create Regex objects: they are like Strings but are
read-only and hence their compiled versions can be cached. For example,
the occurrences-of-a-regex and replace-all-occurrences-of-a-regex
methods automatically create a Regex object.  Of course, one can still
use Strings, but Regexes give good speed gains (like in AWK).

The downside of all this is that the previously thin wrapper around the
C routines is now 300 sound lines... nobody is perfect.

In addition I lifted the Perl5 regular expression matcher from Ruby
(being based on GNU regex, plugging it in was quite easy).

This stuff will all be in 1.96, which I'm going to release on
alpha.gnu.org (the stable version is going to be 1.95.4 for a while)
by the end of May.

--