[Help-smalltalk] [2.1.1] Sparc executable hangs in SUnit package

From: Nicolas Pelletier
Subject: [Help-smalltalk] [2.1.1] Sparc executable hangs in SUnit package
Date: 22 Apr 2003 15:47:45 +0200

Hello,

for 2.1.1,  the only  thing I needed  to do  to complete the  build is
comment  out the  #ifndef __attribute__  block  in lib-src/ansidecl.h:
__attribute__  was defined to  be empty,  causing problems  in input.h
where ATTRIBUTE_PRINTF_x is used. This problem was already seen on the
list...

The  generated  executable  (traditional interpreter)  starts  without
problems :-) and is able to execute simple code. Now that is good news
!

The only dark  point is that the SUnit package seems  to hang, and for
this reason I was not able to perform 'make check'. Here is what I get
from inside the interpreter:

44 % ./gst
GNU Smalltalk ready

st> PackageLoader fileInPackage: #SUnit !
"Scavenging... 92% reclaimed, done"
"Scavenging... 71% reclaimed, done"

It hangs at that point. If I hit Ctrl-C, I get:

^C"Scavenging... 0% reclaimed, done"
"Scavenging... 0% reclaimed, done"
"Scavenging... 0% reclaimed, done"
"Scavenging... 0% reclaimed, done"

Before I hit Ctrl-C, gst uses about 2% of the CPU. After I hit Ctrl-C,
gst  begins  to use  100%  CPU  and  issues these  "Scavenging...  0%"
messages every 10 seconds or so.

When running make  check, gst also hangs in SUnit,  and if I interrupt
it, I get:

gmake[2]: Entering directory `/var/tmp/smalltalk-2.1.1/tests'
builddir=`pwd`; cd . && \
  SMALLTALK_IMAGE=$builddir SMALLTALK_KERNEL=../kernel \
    $builddir/../gst -QSsi AnsiLoad.st
^Cgmake[2]: *** Deleting file `gst.im'
/var/tmp/smalltalk-2.1.1/sunit/SUnitTests.st:423: Interrupt
ProcessorScheduler>>#yield
[] in Delay class>>#initialize
[] in Process>>#onBlock:at:suspend:
BlockClosure>>#on:do:
[] in Process>>#onBlock:at:suspend:
BlockContext class>>#fromClosure:parent:
gmake[2]: *** [gst.im] Interrupt
gmake[1]: *** [check-am] Interrupt
gmake: *** [check-recursive] Error 130

If I try attaching a gdb to the gst running in make check, I get:

(gdb) attach 1785
Attaching to program `/var/tmp/smalltalk-2.1.1/./gst', process 1785
Retry #1:
Retry #2:
Retry #3:
Retry #4:
[New LWP 1]
0xef6b9224 in ?? ()
(gdb) where
#0  0xef6b9224 in ?? ()
#1  0x00018dc0 in _START_ ()
#2  0x00017760 in _START_ ()
#3  0x00021c48 in parse_number (c=8 '\b', lvalp=0x81ed) at lex.c:663
#4  0x0002139c in parse_ident (c=8 '\b', lvalp=0x2) at lex.c:599
#5  0x00020730 in _gst_yyparse () at gst-parse.c:2155
#6  0x0002172c in parse_number (c=8 '\b', lvalp=0x0) at lex.c:774
#7  0x00020bfc in _gst_yyparse () at gst-parse.c:2254
#8  0x00020730 in _gst_yyparse () at gst-parse.c:2155
#9  0x0002035c in _gst_yyparse () at gst-parse.y:777
#10 0x00015910 in _START_ ()

I  did  not  use   any  ./configure  options  (apart  from  --prefix).
Semaphores ? Processes ? Delays ? Timers ? Yet again, I am looking for
help ;-)

Thanks in advance.

--
Nicolas