Re: [Help-smalltalk] NetBSD/1.6//I386/installation problem

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] NetBSD/1.6//I386/installation problem
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 08:28:23 +0200

OK Paolo,
tcl and tk are (and were) installed.
the pb comes from the configure option i used with --with-tcl=/usr/pkg/lib/tcl8.3 instead of --with-tcl=/usr/pkg/lib
Now the ./configure declares that tcl/tk are installed. OK

I purged the build directory and untar the version 2.1.4,....
Under dagerm, i performed the following :
./configure
gmake
gmake check
I use su to become id0
gmake install
Gotcha! no error

Under XFCE using root id and in /root,...
i ran gst without argument and exit ==> OK
gst -qK browser/Run.st
Run.st failed in line 44 with the message "Invalid scope resolution"

It's late, (time to mke stupid things,.. we have to go bed.
Well, we restarted this morning with a coffee,....

<< as a std user >>
1. Purging $HOME/smalltalk, untar the tgz file, going to the Smalltalk directory. 2. ./configure --enable-modules --with-tcl=/usr/pkg/lib --with-tk=/usr/pkg/lib
3. gmake,... OK
4. gmake check,..... OK
<< su root >>
5. gmake install OK but complains that it has NO X Display , Mmm, X is not running :-) ,.... OK
6. exit
7. Login as a std user
8. Run XFCE
9. in a terminal view , launch gst -qK browser/Run.st
GOTCHA! we have a Transcript

CONCLUSION FOR NETBSD/I386

1. Configure is unable to "see" tcl and tk well installed in the system
2. Configure is not able to see it's using a wrong standard make instead of the GNU gmake 3. The online html documentation speak about running an obsolete "gst -qK " blox/Run.st", this seems to useful to see the documentation following the code ( i know, i know, we want all that stuff,..)

We can also conclude that a nice night and a good coffee increase the performance of the coupe Human/Machine :-)

I'd like to thanks Markus and Paolo for their simple question moving a newbies like me on the right way to successed.

Last, i'll tried this afternoon on my Sun/Sparc and later on my others systems, i 'll write a minute to Paolo and the mailing list if and only if i see something interested.

regards , Dagerm

Paolo Bonzini wrote:
You need to have Tcl/Tk installed (header files too) in order to run the
browser.

checking for Tcl 8.x... no
checking for Tk 8.x... no
checking the include path for Tcl/Tk 8.x... not found
checking how to link with Tcl/Tk 8.x... not found