[Help-smalltalk] Release-candidate for GNU Smalltalk 2.2

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: [Help-smalltalk] Release-candidate for GNU Smalltalk 2.2
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2005 11:49:58 +0200

I have just finished uploading GNU Smalltalk 2.1h to

This release is the release candidate for GNU Smalltalk 2.2.

It includes an important bug fix for asynchronous I/O, a new and simpler syntax to call C functions, a port of the class browser to Gtk+ 2.4/2.6. The HTTP client supports the chunked encoding in HTTP/1.1, and the sockets library had other important bug fixes. It includes all the bug fixes and portability improvements in the 2.1.12 version from the stable branch, including support for 64-bit processors.

Thanks to Mike Anderson, Robert Collins, Michael Koehne and everybody else who helped with this release. I hope that in the five years between 1999 and 2004 I have made GNU Smalltalk a pleasant environment for you to work with. Of course I will continue to work on GNU Smalltalk, but unfortunately my pace is not likely to be much faster than it has been in the last year. However, I am starting to see a (small, but growing in interest and talent) community for GNU Smalltalk, and a lot of the class library changes in GNU Smalltalk 2.1h would not have been done without users. It's very good that this happens now that I have less time to hack on it.

Regards,

Paolo Bonzini