Re: [Help-smalltalk] Spam

From: Stewart Stremler
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] Spam
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2005 18:09:09 -0700

quoting Bruce Badger as of Mon, Oct 10, 2005 at 10:07:41AM +1000:
> I get quite a bit of spam from this list.
>
> How about making it such that only subscribers can post?  After all,
> if people want a response to a question, surely they have to subscribe
> to get the answer?

There may be a few places where a GST user is told to just post to the
list address if they have a question or problem; requiring them to
subscribe might drive them away.

However, if a confirmation step (non-member posts to the list, and gets
back a "reply to this" or "visit this web-page to confirm your post")
can be done, that might be enough to weed out most of the spam.

Some of the spam I get comes directly to an email address *only* used
for this list.  So even a confirmation step won't quite be enough.

--
Stewart Stremler