Re: [Help-smalltalk] Scripting with gst

From: Mike Anderson
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] Scripting with gst
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 22:35:27 +0000

Paolo Bonzini wrote:
> I'm interested, for 2.3, in making the startup time faster by modifying
> the image format.  Your approach however is very interesting.

A major problem, as I see it, is that filing in packages is slow, so you
would want your scripting image to have all of the packages that you
might want to use pre-loaded. That will tend to make the image file
large, which inevitably makes the startup time slower. Will your changes
to the image format enable packages to be provided as image segments?

> #basicPrint is meant for debugging, so it is not very interesting to
> make it write to a socket.  (It is a primitive on purpose).  It would be
> better to use dup2 to map the socket onto stderr.

Ah, well, this is because I'm using Behavior >> #evaluate:, which means
I can't handle the backtrace myself. I was having problems with STInST,
and wanted something quick and dirty.

(besides, how will I know which socket to map?)

Mike