Re: [Help-smalltalk] Community sprint

From: Bram Neijt
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] Community sprint
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 14:32:44 +0200

On 9/29/06, Mike Anderson <address@hidden> wrote:
Luca Bruno wrote:

>>> In what sense? You mean all that code for creating classes and
>>> methods  should be reinvented for scripting?
>>> Aren't file outs important for bringing out packages?
>>
>> Class name: #Number extend: #Object [
>>     Method [
>>         isNumber
>>             ^true
>>     ]
>> ]
>>
>> or something like that.  No "exclamation-mark separated" file-outs.

There's a horrible java-smell coming off that :-b
Not only that, I think this is weird. One of the big advantages the
"new" scripting languages try to show you is that it has one keyword
for ending  ("end") and you don't need more. Also, I hate the whole
"We need opening and closing markers" that comes with XML syntax. I
would rather see smalltalk go the other way: making more use of
newline and indentation, like python does. (Although indentation is
not really the best way to go).

Also, the methodsFor, allows you to open a section with a comment,
allowing you to catagorize your methods: I think we simply must save
this feature.

Bram