Re: [Help-smalltalk] [RFC] Smalltalk scripting syntax

From: Mike Anderson
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] [RFC] Smalltalk scripting syntax
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 19:42:45 +0000

[Pasting together your posts, to save electronic ink]

Paolo Bonzini wrote:
> Unfortunately, the | | syntax for instance variables will define
> *class-instance* variables when used in class method definition scope.
>
> This was probably something you and Mike both missed.

I thought you might say that, but there's really no reason why you
should insist on defining class instance variables in the class method
scope. It's a nested scope, and Smalltalk has no inner classes, so
there's no reason to treat it the same as the outer scope.

>> Actually, in spite of my comments, I *don't* have much of a problem with
>> instance variables or instance methods at all. What bothers me is the
>> class scoping and the class variables.
>>
>> What about declaring class variables using | | inside the class scope?
>
> I answer parasti about that.  Suggestions are welcome about class
> scoping improvements.  In particular, in what way does it bother you?

The redundancy in the scope declaration and its message-send form.

Well, I can see that I'm going to have to agree to disagree. Bye for now.

Mike