[Help-smalltalk] What's going on and a simple RFH

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: [Help-smalltalk] What's going on and a simple RFH
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 16:04:40 +0100

Hi people, 3.0.1 is basically ready. There are a good deal of bugfixes, the good news being that almost all of them are *not* regressions from 2.3.6 but were also present in older releases. In particular:

* bug 103 (making documentation when libraries are absent) is a regression

* fixed crash on LargeInteger>>#divExact: (I didn't post the patch here) is a regression

These other changes are not regressions:

* added SequenceableCollection>>#atRandom and String>>#allOccurrencesOfRegex:

* eliminated possible infinite loop in CompiledCode>>#hash.

* fixed Symbol>>#numArgs for methods starting with an underscore.

* fixed problems with substitution of regexes that match the empty string.

* fixed problems with very short delays.

* fixed segmentation violation when gethostbyname returned NULL.

* test floatmath.st failing on Alpha is not a regression, it only started to fail because coverage improved

This makes 3.0 even more solid than I had expected.

I don't have time to do the release today (nor will I in the weekend), so I'm asking for a little helping hand. Would anyone of you please go through the documentation (classes.texi or gst-base.info) and document methods saying "Not commented"? In some cases they are pretty obscure, in some cases you can simply add "private - " to the category and gst-doc will omit them.

Patches against git are welcome. Let me remind you that you can also grab the latest published stable snapshot with

wget -O smalltalk-3.0-latest.tar.gz \

'http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=smalltalk.git;a=snapshot;h=stable-3.0'