[Help-smalltalk] Re: [feature] <import: PoolDict> for namespaces

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: [Help-smalltalk] Re: [feature] <import: PoolDict> for namespaces
Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 22:06:54 -0700

Issue status update for http://smalltalk.gnu.org/project/issue/217 Post a follow up: http://smalltalk.gnu.org/project/comments/add/217

Project:      GNU Smalltalk
Version:      <none>
Component:    VM
Category:     feature requests

The implementation is okay, and obviously you cannot reexport via #at:
as that would require computing a linearization of the namespaces on
every #at:.  In practice, that would mean that A.Var would not refer to
a Var defined in a shared pool of A.

However I am not sure that it's good to not make the import work for
classes defined in a subspace, because that means that I cannot just
take a class defined in A and wrap it into /Namespace current: B [ ]/
to move it into /A.B/.  Can you convince me otherwise?

Would it be difficult to implement?  I imagine you'd use something like
the complete TwistedPools with the superspace replacing the environment
(which simplifies things in turn).