[Help-smalltalk] Re: smalltlak [Fwd: Basic questions before starting hea

From: Robert kuszinger
Subject: [Help-smalltalk] Re: smalltlak [Fwd: Basic questions before starting heavy working]
Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 14:29:28 +0200

Hello Felix!

I worked and also played with several smalltalk. I could say that gst is
NOT like squeak or the others.

If anyone saw some similarities, that simply meant - I think - that he
saw the blox based class hierarchy browser of gst. Every class browser
in ST language implementation looks similar, that's all.

But meanwhile squek is a smalltalk with many browsers, gst is script
based by philosophy. However the blox browsers are at a really nice
shape and still developing.

I also use gentoo Linux, but I erased the version from portage:

emerge -C gnu-smalltalk

and downloaded the 3.0b sources from the gnu-smalltalk site, compiled
and installed. Start it after installing with:

gst-blox

It also supports the -I parameter for opening a saved image.
Be preapared - it is in development, but very-very promising - I do just
the same like you - experimenting with the GUI browsers.

best regards
Robert