Re: [Help-smalltalk] How to access environment variables ?

From: Mehul N. Sanghvi
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] How to access environment variables ?
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 09:51:35 -0500

Krishna said the following on 02/10/2009 09:41 AM:
On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 8:03 PM, Paolo Bonzini <address@hidden> wrote:
Krishna wrote:
On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 7:41 PM, Paolo Bonzini <address@hidden> wrote:
There are extra shell variables showing up like PATH, BASH, TERM, etc.
which do not show up in a CGI environment using any other language that
I've used to write a similar CGI program (Perl, PHP, Lisp, Scheme, C,
Tcl).  All of them print out the same variables as the output of the
Perl script.  What we seem to  be doing in Smalltalk is forking/execing
a shell and and then getting the environment variables so that we end up
with variables from a hybrid environment of CGI and shell.
why not call getenv(3) using the C interface?
He wants *all* the variables, not just one.

ha! ok. is it possible to build a custom gst with int main(int argc,
char** argv, char** envp) and slurp the environment from there?

another thing: can't you get away with a known set of environment
variables in a CGI script?

If I am debugging a CGI script, I may not always know what I am looking for or need to look at. The easiest, time saving method would be to be able to have something that just shows me the entire set of CGI environment variables and their values. Plus, at least to me, it seems a logical thing to be able to do i.e. the ability to snarf all the environment variables in an optimal fashion.

I personally want to try and use Smalltalk, Lisp, Scheme as my scripting languages for CGI. If I can start using them on a sort of regular basis, maybe I can convince other people to do the same. Initial thought was a very simple web based accounting package, but I might look at other things more closely related to my background in networks.

All of that is a bit off into the future, right now I am just trying to learn Smalltalk and Lisp and Scheme.

cheers,

    mehul