Re: [Help-smalltalk] Re: Transcript cf printNl

From: Stephen
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] Re: Transcript cf printNl
Date: Sat, 07 Mar 2009 08:21:02 +1300

1) If you mean, "hangs", this is fixed by the RecursionLock changes.
Note you can plug them in an existing image with

  Transcript instVarAt: 1 put: RecursionLock new

2) If you mean, "errors out", that's because Transcript show: only
accepts strings right now.  It is a synonym for "nextPutAll:".

Re my comment about 'Transcript show: myVar class' giving an error. I had thought there was still a problem, however, I see the output of the class selector is a class and not a string. Just one of things on an unfamiliar system, where a system error plus a user error can have one thinking there is still a system error.

Re my 2c on making 'show:' a synonym for 'display:'. Yes, this is simpler ..
        Transcript display: 23.
But if I'm using Transcript, then I'm usually printing text as well, and  so
        Transcript display: 'MyInt is: ',myInt.   "->error"
and one still has to do the conversion anway, i.e.
        Transcript display: 'MyInt is: ',myint displayString.
is the same as
        Transcript show:    'MyInt is: ',myint displayString.

Also confirming I added the line you provided,
        'Transcript instVarAt: 1 put: RecursionLock new'
    into the start of the script with class output and it stopped the hang.

Thanks
Stephen