Re: [Help-smalltalk] GNU Smalltalk on OS X with native GTK

From: Gwenael Casaccio
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] GNU Smalltalk on OS X with native GTK
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 09:54:38 +0200

On Tue, 2009-10-13 at 01:11 +0200, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
> On 10/13/2009 12:05 AM, Eli Green wrote:
> >
> > It is not what I would call stable or even usable; a few windows that
> > don't draw themselves, a lot of spinning beach balls (the "Window is not
> > responding to events" indicator in OS  X).
>
> It would be interesting to know if the X11 version has the same bugs, so
> as to pinpoint bugs or differences in GTK-Quartz.  It seems usable to me
> under both X11 and Window, and GTK-Quartz is the most experimental GTK
> backend.

The X11 version of GTK has not this bug this is specific to GTK-Quartz.

> > From what I can see,
> > VisualGST is written directly against the Gtk libraries so it's not like
> > somebody could simply implement a Cocoa version of Blox or equivalent.
> > Has any thought been given to placing an abstraction library between GST
> > and the native platform libraries or is GTK going to be the solution
> > going forward?
>
> Native-themed GTK, plus maybe a simple wrapper for the GTK-on-Mac
> libraries that fix the menu bar, is probably good enough.

Yes there are some specific stuff on GTK-Os x for the menu bar and
the shortcuts

the theme : available in svn.gnome.org/svn/gtk-quartz-engine or
http://github.com/rcaelers/gtk-quartz-engine/tree

For the integration :
http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/gtk-osx/wiki/Integrate

for example the menu bar :
  gtk_widget_hide (menubar);
  ige_mac_menu_set_menu_bar (GTK_MENU_SHELL (menubar));

For the shortcuts it seems that this can be done automatically :
Menu: Helps integrates the application's menus onto the Mac Menubar, move the
About, Preference,
and Quit menu items to the Application menu, and mutate some of the keyboard
shortcuts from Control-Foo to Command-Foo.