Re: [Help-smalltalk] brainstorming about gst-package and fetching remote

From: Gwenael Casaccio
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] brainstorming about gst-package and fetching remote packages
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 2009 14:20:45 +0100

On Thu, 2009-11-05 at 12:11 +0100, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
> On 11/05/2009 11:32 AM, Gwenael Casaccio wrote:
> > - first we need an easy way to get repositories (i.e. the list of
> > packages)
>
> I think there would be two parts to implement:
>
> 1) download a package given a URL (could be a http URL to a .star
> package, or a git/svn URL to a directory including a package file, or both?)
>
> 2) find a package's URL given its name.
>
> For 1, support would be needed in the beginning for svn and git.
>
> For 2, we could support a centralized repository at smalltalk.gnu.org
> (like rubygems.org) so the URLs could be standard: gst-package
> --download iliad -> gst-package --download
> http://smalltalk.gnu.org/project/iliad/repository.  The URLs could
> redirect to the "real" URL, e.g. from
> http://smalltalk.gnu.org/project/iliad/repository to
> git://github.com/NicolasPetton/iliad.git.
>
> Do you think this would be too much of a hack?  Maybe it's better to
> return some XML thing from
> http://smalltalk.gnu.org/project/iliad/repository and parse it?

So we'll have a central repository at: http://smalltalk.gnu.org/

For each URLs inside http://smalltalk.gnu.org/packages/ we will have a
package.(st|xml) file that stores the information about the related
project (website, version, ...)

that seems fine for me.

> A third part would be to update packages on the fly from the remote
> repository (especially if it is a git or svn repository).

Yes even if it is not a git or svn repository we can download new
version.