Re: [Help-smalltalk] OS X binaries for school

From: Duke Normandin
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] OS X binaries for school
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 05:50:34 -0700 (MST)

On Mon, 22 Feb 2010, Stephen Woolerton wrote:

> I can try.
> >
> > Paolo
> >
> That is kind of you Paolo.
>
> If it helps, programming is a tiny part of my networking job and I'm hoping to
> change that this year to increase the amount of smalltalk programming. But one
> advantage of the releases was that I could just download it and there were
> some instructions to follow and it just worked. Whether true or not, my
> perception is that there is lots of software to download and install now to
> get GST and VisualGST working. It isn't so much the time to compile everything
> as the time to hunt through all the list emails to find out what the latest
> process is. Same thing as with most open source projects I guess, is that
> documentation lags the fun stuff of programming.
>
> No complaints here, but as much as I want to have more time programming I
> don't, and I understand it is the same for you, much as you want to have
> better documentation if you only have a few minutes, then you'll write some
> code.
>
> So yes, if you do find time to get some compiled binaries in a zip file, that
> would be awesome. (To work through GST on its own would suffice for the
> students if that is all you have time for, i.e. no VisualGST)

You're thoughts and concerns - expressed above - are very similar to
100s and perhaps 1000s who are _not_ students, but likewise do _not_
have the time to hunt and scratch for all the bits-n-pieces to make a
toy (but perhaps later on, a tool) work. This is an unfortunate
circumstance for both the language and the potential
converts/users. Mind you, "some assembly required" is OK with me _if_
the pieces go together and fit. If they do not, first I get choked and
try again, then I say "pluck it! I don't need this..." and move on.

BTW, there's an OS X "port" for GST. You install MacPorts first (Google it),
and then do:

port search gst

or

port info gst

When you see what you want, then do:

port install file_name

Having said that, the GST port seems to be broken for certain
functionality. Compiling from source - using git - didn't solve
anything for me. YMMV.

If you get it to compile cleanly, AND are fortunate to have a
completely functional GST, I would be much obliged if you would pass
on to me exactly how you did it. TIA..
--
duke