Re: [Help-smalltalk] Re: Starting Iliad without gst-remote

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] Re: Starting Iliad without gst-remote
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 09:56:29 +0200

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 02:53, Holger Hans Peter Freyther
<address@hidden> wrote:
> On 08/18/2010 12:56 AM, ZuLuuuuuu wrote:
>

>> Yes, it works as well. And pressing enter allows me to quit nicely. Thanks.
>> What is the logic behind this?
>
> The current VM is not pre-emptive so only if one process is yielding another
> will run.

No, that's not the reason why the REPL blocks I/O.  The reason is simply
that at any time _either the REPL or the VM_ will run, and I/O is obviously
handled by the VM.

Also, the VM _is_ preemptive, despite the ill-named --enable-preemptive.
Semaphores (which include Delay timeouts and I/O events) can and will
preempt the running process.  It is just that the VM will not preempt a
process just because it's been running for some time; that is, the VM is
not time-sharing.