Re: [Help-smalltalk] [bug] Error when building gnutls-wrapper

From: Carlo Bramini
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] [bug] Error when building gnutls-wrapper
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2012 13:04:30 -0700

Issue status update for http://smalltalk.gnu.org/project/issue/571 Post a follow up: http://smalltalk.gnu.org/project/comments/add/571

Project:      GNU Smalltalk
Version:      <none>
Component:    Build
Category:     bug reports

It looks like the bug still exists in newer version and the patch seems
wrong.
The SHUT_RDWR was still not found, probably because you added the
various #define in the block where __MSVCRT__ is undefined.
I wouldn't use hardcoded values, I would simply define instead:

   * define SHUT_RD   SD_RECEIVE
   * define SHUT_WR   SD_SEND
   * define SHUT_RDWR SD_BOTH

In my opinion there is no need to do #ifndef tests on them: if that
code block is relative to Windows, then it is sure that these macro do
not exist.
I do not understand very well why it has been tested __MSVCRT__ instead
of _WIN32, but unless strictly required I would recommend to change it.
If socketx.h includes winsock2.h, then including windows.h is redundant
because it is included directly by winsock2.h, so if you want you can
delete that inclusion too.

It looks like that adding the library to gnutls_wrapper_LDADD is the
right thing to do, but the order was wrong.
You must write instead:

gnutls_wrapper_LDADD = \
 $(GNUTLS_LIBS) \
 $(top_builddir)/lib-src/library.la \
 $(SOCKET_LIBS)

with $(SOCKET_LIBS) put in the bottom, otherwise a circular dependency
will happen and the linking will fail.

Thanks for your time.
Sincerely,

Carlo Bramini.

PS: I got version 3.2.4, I tried to compile it, I got the error, I
tried to search and I found an issue submitted by me that I had
forgotten.
Should I have to get an email when somebody replied to this issue?
Because I received nothing...

PPS: I did a patch with my proposed changes and I attached it. I did
not only replaced __MSVCRT__ with _WIN32 because I do not know if you
have some particular reason for using it.