Re: [Help-smalltalk] Automake vs. Automake-NG

From: Diego Elio Pettenò
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] Automake vs. Automake-NG
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2012 09:48:29 -0700

On 21/08/2012 09:30, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> In Fedora we already are pushing around package maintainers to pass
> appropriate options to configure to revert this change, because silent
> make rules are non-suitable for building distros in batch jobs.

The same is true for Gentoo.

> In other words, it is a fork with a backward incompatible API, a
> probably backward-incompatible runtime environment and a different
> target audience.
>
> Somewhat exaggerated: Yet another tool the world has not been waiting for.

Or possibly what people expected Automake to be. Honestly I'm not sure
how many automake-based projects really care about non-GNU make
compatibility nowadays. A lot of them already don't work that well with
anything but GNU make, and they just don't care.

--
Diego Elio Pettenò — Flameeyes
address@hidden — http://blog.flameeyes.eu/