Re: [Help-smalltalk] adding smalltalk-mode to ELPA?

From: bill-auger
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] adding smalltalk-mode to ELPA?
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2019 18:46:07 -0400

On Tue, 26 Mar 2019 12:51:34 -0400 Stefan wrote:
> Anyway, from what I understand, you have no intention of moving
> smalltalk-mode.el elsewhere nor to spend your time with a 2-way sync.
> In that case, I think it's best not to add smalltalk-mode.el to GNU
> ELPA to avoid the risk of a fork.

i am not a member of the smalltalk dev team, they are listed on
savannah[1] - i was only offering some general observations,
anticipating what i would expect to be the response of most upstreams
when asked to to do the things you are suggesting

regarding the risk of maintaining a "stale" fork, i will say again that
is the entirely responsibility of the person who maintains that fork,
not the upstream - the states of downstream forks are simply
uninteresting to the upstream - if the packager attends to the package
diligently, then it will not go stale - in this particular case, i
think the packager would find that the smalltalk emacs mode was
probably complete 10-15 years ago - i would presume there is little
chance of a fork falling out-of-sync, even if the packager completely
ignores it, simply because the file is not likely to ever need changing

[1]: https://savannah.gnu.org/project/memberlist.php?group=smalltalk