Re: [Help-smalltalk] adding smalltalk-mode to ELPA?

From: Derek Zhou
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] adding smalltalk-mode to ELPA?
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2019 09:05:20 +0800

Holger Freyther writes:

> I am currently not a GNU Emacs user and as a result have been quiet on
> this topic.
>
> There seems to be benefit[1] to move the smalltalk-model.el into the GNU
> ELPA repository. I can check what rms wrote but I need one of you to do
> the actual move.
>
> holger
>

> [1] It seems easier to enable the mode. It increases the visibility of
> GNU Smalltalk and Smalltalk in general to emacs users.

Thanks Holger.

There are 2 ways we can do this:

1, keep the current smalltalk-mode.el in smalltalk git as is, for people
still using emacs 23 and before; fork smalltalk-mode.el to ELPA for
modern emacen. Occasionally back port bug fixes.

2, remove smalltalk-mode.el altogether from smalltalk git and encourage
people to use ELPA.

I'd suggest to do 1 first, at least until the next stable release of
gst. I use smalltalk and emacs daily, although still very green with
elisp programming, I can maintain smalltalk-mode on ELPA and do the 2
way sync required. Shouldn't take much time anyway.

Derek