Re: Multiprocessoring

From: Wolfgang Dann
Subject: Re: Multiprocessoring
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2020 20:21:26 +0200

Am Mittwoch, den 03.06.2020, 15:04 +0000 schrieb Derek Zhou:
> Wolfgang Dann writes:
>
> > Does anybody has experience with configure --enable-preemption?
> > It looks like there is code in the VM. Does it work with Linux
> > at least?
> My feeling is it is a feature that not battle tested. True preemption
> is
> very hard to get right. However I believe gnu smalltalk is single
> threaded,
> so it may not be that bad.
>
> Derek.
>
> > regards Wolfgang

That is my first impression too. But maybe GNU Smalltalk is already
capable of this on some platforms. That would be really amazing
since it is scaling with every new processor generation. That's much
better than a jit compiler, which is not scaling.
I will look at it a bit further when I have the time for it and report
if I get a clue.

regards Wolfgang