Re: on using `makeinfo --no-split' to solve filename conflicts

From: Alexandre Duret-Lutz
Subject: Re: on using `makeinfo --no-split' to solve filename conflicts
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 21:40:12 +0100

>>> "Zaretskii" == Zaretskii Eli <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

 >> What else could I do so these files do not conflict on system
 >> like DJGPP, with 8+3 filenames?

 Zaretskii> When `makeinfo' runs on a 8+3 filesystem, it automatically
 Zaretskii> produces automake.i1, automake.i2, etc. instead of automake.info-*
 Zaretskii> files.  If you need to do this on Windows, set LFN=n in the
 Zaretskii> environment before running `makeinfo'.

Ok, but I'm not really concerned by what the DJGPP port of
makeinfo does when it runs [*], since most autoconfiscated
projects ship with info files already built.

For instance
  ftp://sources.redhat.com/pub/automake/automake-1.7.2b.tar.gz
comes with automake.info, automake.info-1, automake.info-2, etc.

What happens when you unpack this tarball?  Does tar
automatically renames these files?  I suspect that since this
issue is common to all packages, you must have a solution, but I
simply don't know it.  (Also, Rich sent numerous patches to
better support DJGPP, but never mentioned info files.)

An item on the Automake todo list is to run (optionally, of
course) a tool like doschk during distcheck to detect such
filename conflicts before a package is released.  Splitting
files as makeinfo does by default obviously produces lots
of such conflicts; so I'd rather like to know how to deal
with them, before everybody ask :)

[*] By the bye, I note that the behavior you describe breaks the
Automake rules that distribute and install foo.info and
foo.info-*.  Should these rules be fixed to also distribute and
install foo.i* files, or would this causes trouble on other
platforms?  (Like, for instance, if info doesn't grok foo.i*
filenames everywhere.)
--
Alexandre Duret-Lutz