Re: [help-texinfo] Re: translating automake infopage

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] Re: translating automake infopage
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2004 11:25:48 -0400

    I wonder if tools similar to gettext exist for manuals?

FWIW, I have never seen any.  Something based on wdiff might be better
than straight diff.

    E.g., does `info' supports several translated versions of a manual?

There is no special support for translations in the Texinfo system.  In
fact, there is little support for languages other than English (although
some non-English manuals have been written).

This is of course a very serious deficiency, but it's not easy to
remedy, and I regretfully have not had time to do much about it.

    If yes, where should they be installed and how should they be named?

There is a French translation of the Info manual.  It's named
info-fr.texi and info can access it just like any other manual.  FWIW.

A better approach would probably be $(infodir)/fr/info.texi.  But this
actually requires changing the code to figure out where to look under
what circumstances, and thus hasn't been done.

    (I see nothing about this in the Texinfo manual, but maybe there are
    plans for this.)

It's come up many times.

Wish I had better news to report.