[help-texinfo] German umlauts and @node/@chapter (again)

From: Oliver Beck
Subject: [help-texinfo] German umlauts and @node/@chapter (again)
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2004 13:03:39 +0100

Hello list,

to me the complexity of Texinfo/TeX/LaTeX/pdfetex/etc. grows slowly
over the head. I no more know where I what change / modernisation
must go that I reach my desired result.

If I write an umlaut in a @chapter or @node instruction, I receive in
the formats PDF, DVI and PS (un)funny lines on the first side (see [1]).
`makeinfo` constructs 'normal' issues, whether info page or HTML.

However, when i name the chapter to 'Uebersicht' instead of
'@"Ubersicht', everything looks fine ;)

To translate the texi file I'm use texi2pdf/texi2dvi.

The complete texi-Source can be considered under [2].
The log files are in gzipped Tarball [3].

I hope, I have closed enough information informed around the problem
to localize it. If not, I ask for forbearance. I just lack (still) in
basic understanding, how from texi or tex PDF/DVI/PS/whatever becomes.

OS:

Slackware 10
Linux 2.6.7
Libc 2.3.2

Versions:

pdfeTeXk:       Version 3.14159-1.10b-2.1 (Web2C 7.4.5)
texinfo.tex:    Version 2004-10-31.06
txi-de.tex:     Version 1.9 1999/02/04 17:18:14

address@hidden:/$tex --version
TeX (Web2C 7.4.5) 3.14159
kpathsea version 3.4.5

[1] http://www.std-err.de/texi/openvpn_unter_linux-howto.pdf        98Kb
[2] http://www.std-err.de/texi/openvpn_unter_linux-howto.texi        8Kb
[3] http://www.std-err.de/texi/openvpn_unter_linux-howto_logs.tar.gz 4Kb

Mit freundlichen Gruessen/Best Regards Oliver Beck

--
 /"\ -ASCII-Ribbon-Campaign- |  Linux && EPIA-> http://epia.std-err.de
 \ /    Against HTML Mail    | ---                                  ---