Re: [help-texinfo] roman/arabic numeral pages and modified headers at fi

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] roman/arabic numeral pages and modified headers at first page in chapter
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 13:27:27 -0500

    to use roman number pages also in Preface and start with arabic
    number from the First chapter?

If you do
@tex
\global\pageno=-3
@end tex
before the preface, it should come out in roman numerals.  Basically,
negative numbers get roman numerals.

    First of all I would delete header (it contains "Chapter x: xxxxx
    page")

Do you know TeX?  If you can send a patch to texinfo.tex to implement
this, it could be an option (or perhaps it should even be removed
entirely).  If you can't do this, I can look at it eventually, but don't
hold your breath.  Sorry.

    - a line containing "Chapter x" on the left
    - a second line containing "title of the chapter centered

Texinfo was specifically designed not to allow arbitrary formatting
choices.  I'm not necessarily opposed to allowing "styles", but it's a
big job and will probably never happen (unless someone else implements
it in a way that I can integrate it).

Meanwhile, if this is critical to you, you can do it by redefining the
various macros in texinfo.tex that output the title.

In this particular case, there is a @centerchap command which
outputs the whole thing centered.  It might be possible to fiddle around
with that to get it on two lines as you want, I'm not sure.  I'm not
even sure if @centerchap really works, I haven't seen it used in years.

BTW, your message got delivered twice to the list.  (Your individual
message to me also came in twice.)

Best,
karl