Re: [help-texinfo] Re: Setting human languag for makeinfo

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] Re: Setting human languag for makeinfo
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 12:32:49 -0400

Hi Torsten,

    With the official 4.8
    release, I don't encounter any problems in this respect.

Oh, I didn't realize you were talking about the built-from-CVS version.

For me, (export LANG=de; makeinfo --version) does *not* print German
even with the released 4.8.  Shouldn't that work?  Does it work for you?
(I also tried fr and other languages.)  In fact, I get no translations
for other programs (eg, grep), not just makeinfo.  I must be doing
something very wrong.  I'm baffled.

    However, "make" doesn't make those *.gmo files that are apparently
    necessary for the translation.  I see no error messages, only with
    "make install".

I'm not doing anything special in the Makefiles, all this stuff is being
generated by automake+autoconf+gettext.  I guess something else needs to
happen to build the .gmo's, but I don't understand enough to know what,
offhand.  Can you look into it?

After they're made, maybe it's also necessary to somehow install/symlink
the files in the Texinfo source hier to somewhere that gettext will find
them?

    I have autoconf 2.59 and automake 1.9.1.

That seems fine.  I have automake 1.9.5 but I can't imagine that's the
problem.  The gettext version is probably the most relevant, but again,
I doubt that's the problem.

Sorry ...

karl