[help-texinfo] Problems with TeX-ing Texinfo sources in russian

From: Dmitry Dzhus
Subject: [help-texinfo] Problems with TeX-ing Texinfo sources in russian
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 22:20:34 +0400

Greetings!

Recently I've noted that the 4.9.91 Texinfo pretest release features
`txi-ru.tex` Russian translation for `texinfo.tex` and that UTF-8
support was announced in version 4.9.

I've typed a short Texinfo document with both Russian and English
characters and specified

    @documentlanguage ru
    @documentencoding UTF-8

at the beginning of the document.

Info, HTML, raw XML and Docbook output are quite fine.

Generating PDF or DVI almost fails. Actually, english text in document
stays ok, while russian characters are wiped out completely (including
strings «Table of Contents» translated to russian in
`txi-ru.tex`). TeX log is full of these errors:

l.7: Unicode char @u8:М not defined for Texinfo
l.7: Unicode char @u8:н not defined for Texinfo
l.7: Unicode char @u8:е not defined for Texinfo
l.7: Unicode char @u8:н not defined for Texinfo
l.7: Unicode char @u8:а not defined for Texinfo

(one such line for every single russian character in my file)

I've attached gzipped version of transcript.

I have feeling that it may be not a problem of Texinfo itself, but
maybe TeX installation. In case it matters, tetex-3.0_p1 is installed
on my system.

When I write common LaTeX docs, specifying

    \usepackage[utf8x]{inputenc}
    \usepackage[russian]{babel}

is sufficient for writing in russian.
--