Re: [help-texinfo] Problem building TeXinfo on MSWindow 2000 + mingw

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] Problem building TeXinfo on MSWindow 2000 + mingw
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2008 22:32:55 +0300

> Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2008 14:00:15 -0500
> From: address@hidden (Karl Berry)
> Cc: address@hidden
>
>     First problem I met is that, during compilation of install-info,
>     regex.h could not be found.
>
> regex.h has been a standard header for a lot of years now.  Does
> #include <regex.h> really fail in mingw without a special -I?
> This doesn't sound right for such a  new platform.
>
> I intentionally left the #include unconditional just to see what would
> happen.  (It's been there for a couple of releases now.)
>
> Anyway, we could incorporate regex from gnulib, which would probably
> solve it.
>
>     LIBS = -lregex
>
> Here again, regex is supposed to be a standard part of libc, so if mingw
> doesn't provide it, that doesn't sound right.

MinGW uses the libraries and runtime that come with MS-Windows out of
the box.  It doesn't add any libraries or headers.  And Windows
doesn't come with a regex library.

>     However when I compile a .texi it does work only if I give the full
>     path to non-installed makeinfo.exe, and if I try to use the
>     installed makeinfo.exe the .texi does not compile. It seems that
>     installation of makeinfo cannot be made independently from TeXinfo
>     other module installation. Is that normal ?
>
> No, it's not normal; it's a total mystery, in fact.  There are no "other
> modules"; makeinfo is a self-contained binary, and does not care about
> where it is installed.

How about if the OP shows some error messages that fail the generation
of Info files by makeinfo?  Then we might have a clue as to the
possible reasons.