[help-texinfo] Re: automake + .info files help needed

From: Bruce Korb
Subject: [help-texinfo] Re: automake + .info files help needed
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2008 09:34:52 -0800

Hi Ralf,

On Sun, Nov 2, 2008 at 9:14 AM, Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden> wrote:
>> This input line:
>>
>>        @item @code{[[HH:]MM:]SS}
>>
>> causes texinfo to go nuts.....
>
> Have you tried @verb?

No.  What is "special" about '[' and ']' characters?
In what contexts do square brackets need special treatment?
I cannot readily see a reference to it in the doc.  Meanwhile, of course,
for this example I'll use "@verb".  Thank you.
<<time passed>>
Oops.  Didn't work.  Please see below.

>>> Oh, and when you happen to be bored, you could eliminate some of those
>>> under/overfull boxes ...
>>
>> Only if I knew the cause.  I must have some boxes, but I don't know what
>> they are.
>> It's just .texi text as far as I know.
>
> Oh, underfull hboxes usually happen when you have paragraphs that are
> only around one line long, and/or there are words near the end of line

Thank you again.  I feel better knowing what the "underfull hbox" stuff means.
I doubt, however, I'll ever be bored enough to want to try to figure out what
text needs special tweaking just because texinfo has a little problem.
I think my preferred fix would be to silence the warning.

Cheers - Bruce

[85] [86] [87] [88] [89] [90] [91] [92] [93] [94] [95]
./../../doc/autogen.texi:8241: Missing number, treated as zero.
<to be read again>
                   }
@tclose ...n @rawbackslash @plainfrenchspacing #1}
                                                  @null
@samp #1->address@hidden {#1}
                       '@null
@item ...nt @hbox to address@hidden @itemcontents @kern
                                                  @itemmargin address@hidden
address@hidden
l.8241 @item
             @verb{=[[HH:]MM:]SS=}
?
./../../doc/autogen.texi:8241: Emergency stop.
<to be read again>
                   }
@tclose ...n @rawbackslash @plainfrenchspacing #1}
                                                  @null
@samp #1->address@hidden {#1}
                       '@null
@item ...nt @hbox to address@hidden @itemcontents @kern
                                                  @itemmargin address@hidden
address@hidden
l.8241 @item
             @verb{=[[HH:]MM:]SS=}
Output written on autogen.dvi (97 pages, 299076 bytes).
Transcript written on autogen.log.