Re: [help-texinfo] Indenting a block of text

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] Indenting a block of text
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2011 00:57:12 GMT

    This is a line of normal text.
         This is a block of indented text.
    This is a line of normal text.

>From this sample, I'm not sure what you want.  If the idea is for your
text to be automatically broken into lines, as @quotation does, I fear
there is no block command like @quotation which only indents on the
left.  It wouldn't be hard to define, of course.  Do you just need a
longer line width for some reason?

For the record, if you want line-of-input becomes line-of-output (which
I doubt), you can do it in this ugly way:

@flushleft
@indent This is the first indented line.
@indent This is the second indented line.
@end flushleft

Finally, the lack of blank lines in your example makes it seem like you
want one paragraph where a couple of lines in the middle are indented.
I'm guessing that is not what you really mean.  All the existing block
commands in Texinfo essentially operate on paragraphs as a logical unit,
and vertical space is left above and below them.
(It's possible in TeX (with \parshape), but nothing like that was ever
implemented for Texinfo.)

Sorry,
karl