Re: [help-texinfo] Unicode line drawing chars in pdf output

From: James Cloos
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] Unicode line drawing chars in pdf output
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2013 16:35:33 -0500

KB>     What's the recommended way of getting Unicode line drawing
KB>     characters ... in the PDF output?

KB> If you can find some free TeX font that supports them, possibly they
KB> could be added.  I don't know one offhand.

Perhaps a table api would be better?  It could use the line drawing
characters in info and actual lines in TeX.  Chapter 22 in the TeXbook
has some examplee using \hrule and \vrule.

Since texinfo.tex already uses \hrule and \vrule that should be easy to
support.  And it would give better results in ps and pdf than line
drawing fonts would.

OTOH, if you really want line drawing fonts, using the DejaVu Mono src
to generate a type1 font would be trivial.  FF has support to narrow
the glyphs in a reasonable manner to match each version of cmtt.

(cmtt8 is 531/1000, cmtt9 and cmtt10 are 525/1000 and cmtt12 is 514/1000.
dejavu mono, to match courier's 600/1000, is 1233/2048.)

-JimC
--
James Cloos <address@hidden>         OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6