Re: [help-texinfo] IXIN 1.7 available

From: Patrice Dumas
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] IXIN 1.7 available
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 23:41:40 +0100

On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 10:18:51PM +0000, Karl Berry wrote:
>     I have added a SXML backend based on the XML one.
>     texi2any --set SXML=1 myfile.texi
>
> 1) maybe the name should be IXIN rather than SXML?  I thought SXML is
> just a generic name for XML written in sexprs.  Or am I wrong?

You are right that SXML just a generic name for XML written in sexprs.
But right now what the SXML=1 produces is not IXIN, IXIN also has
tables to map nodes/floats/index entries/nodes, blobs for image files...
It only produces the SXML that is needed by IXIN.

> (For the same reason, we should not have named the "TexinfoXML" output
> just "XML", but it's too late now.  Let's not compound the mistake.)

So I guess, it is TexinfoSXML then.  So, I will change the --set to
TEXINFOSXML.  I will also change the perl module name.  I could even
change the XML perl module name to TexinfoXML, that would make sense.
And also the format could be called 'texinfoxml' instead of simply
'xml' (the format name is seldom used, though).

> 2) Should there be an --ixin option, like all the other output formats?

Certainly, when it is ready...

> 3) Should we add this to the documentation and make it an official part
> of 5.0, or do you (both) think that is still premature?  I don't mean
> that every detail has to be nailed down and put in stone, but rather
> that the basic idea of "IXIN output" be mentioned.

It is premature, the TexinfoSXML is not that much worth mentioning, in my
opinion.  Well, it should be documented, but just like the 'special'
outputs (DEBUGTREE, TEXTCONTENT...).

--
Pat