Re: [help-texinfo] Macros within @example and newlines, with TeX output

From: Luca Saiu
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] Macros within @example and newlines, with TeX output
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 23:52:19 +0200

Hello Karl.

On 2013-04-16 at 23:32, Karl Berry wrote:

> You could try adding @c, as in:
>
> @macro q{text}
> address@hidden
> @end macro
>
> (I don't know if it will change things, and can't try it myself right
> now, sorry.  It's just what comes to mind.)

This workaround works in TeX, which I didn't expect -- I admit that I
didn't even try, despite the documentation -- but, unsurprisingly, eats
away all the text after the macro call with makeinfo.

Of course my real definitions are much more complex, and I don't want to
define the TeX and non-TeX version of each single macro.

> Overall, I recommend (a) not using @macro, perhaps by (b) using m4
> (a rational macro system) instead.

I've not completely understood how -E works.  Anyway, (b) definitely
feels like the right thing.  Ok, the time has come for me to really
learn m4.

Thanks for answering,

--
Luca Saiu