Re: [help-texinfo] 15mm margin with @smallerbook

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] 15mm margin with @smallerbook
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2014 01:11:15 GMT

    @tex
    \globaldefs=1
    \internalpagesizes{7.4in}{4.8in}{-10.4mm}{-10.4mm}{0pt}{14pt}{9in}{6in}
    @end tex

    and the formatting and margins have gone out of line.

Indeed.  Sadly, the \globaldefs evidently messes up some other
parameter(s).  I tried some basic experiments but did not narrow it
down.  It would take a lot more debugging effort (\loggingall, etc.) to
figure out what and where.

What does work (for me) is to invoke your cmd like this:
@internalpagesizes{7.4in}{4.8in}{-10.4mm}{-10.4mm}{0pt}{14pt}{9in}{6in}
at the top level of the document (e.g., right after the @setfilename),
without any conditional.

The command won't be recognized by makeinfo, since it was never meant to
be invoked as a user-level thing.  If that's a problem, I see three
possible approaches:

1) If you use texi2dvi (aka texi2pdf, etc.), I think it would work to
   add it on the command line, as in:
  texi2dvi --texinfo='@internalpagesizes{...etc...}' foo.texi

2) If you put the command (by itself) in a separate file, say pagesize.texi,
   then it should be possible to conditionally include that file for TeX
   processing only, as in
@iftex
@include pagesize.texi
@end iftex

3) If all else fails, I can add your page size to texinfo.tex.

hope something works ...
karl