Re: [help-texinfo] How to replace nodes with section titles?

From: Jason Massey
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] How to replace nodes with section titles?
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2014 16:50:07 -0400

This definitely has me headed in the right direction!

Can you point me to documentation about how ``init files'' work, and how to go about the process of customizing things? (I'm familiar with "texi2any" chapter in the Texinfo manual, but it doesn't go into the level of detail I'm seeking.)

Thanks again!

On Sat, Oct 25, 2014 at 4:02 PM, Patrice Dumas <address@hidden> wrote:
On Sat, Oct 25, 2014 at 02:51:14PM -0400, Jason Massey wrote:
> Greetings, and thank you for any attention given to this question.
>
> Would someone please tell me exactly which customization variables need to
> modified (via `--set-customization-variable'), and set to what exact
> values, in order to achieve the following effects (all within the context
> of HTML rendering)?
>
> * The document is split on nodes.
> * Neither nodes nor node-descriptions appear in the menu: only section
> names appear in the menus.
> * Nodes are not used in the "Next: ... Previous: ... Up:..." navigational
> linkage (at the top and bottom of pages) but rather section names appear.
>
> ***
>
> Said simply: I don't want "nodes" to appear in HTML menus or HTML
> navigational linkage; I want only the section-titles displayed.

It is not enough to use --set-customization-variable, the headings
cannot be customized with --set-customization-variable, you need a
customization file.  And in order to have both text and anchors in the
header, there is a need to use a function for the header formatting.

I attach a customization file that does what you want, if I understood
your need well.

The command-line should be along:

texi2any --html --set-customization-variable USE_NODES=0 --set-customization-variable NODE_NAME_IN_MENU=0 --set-customization-variable NODE_NAME_IN_INDEX=0 --init header_with_sections.pm

Beware that this uses interfaces that are not documented and subject to
changes.

--
Pat