Re: [help-texinfo] Fwd: Texinfo questions

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] Fwd: Texinfo questions
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2015 23:16:48 GMT

Hi Stef,

    Textadept (*).
    A fair review :
    http://yfl.bahmanm.com/Members/ttmrichter/software-reviews/textadept-review

Interesting.  Thanks for mentioning it.

    "@cartouche" is best used to highlight short phrases and concepts

In practice I have mostly seen @cartoutche used with a few lines of
code, or some other kind of example, which the author wants to set off
from the text.  (Personally I'm not convinced it's anything but ugly,
but that's a different story. :)

    If I understand well, there is two alternatives to handle all output
    formats :

    - 1) should be generated outside Texinfo, by including "pretty printed"
    sources, produced by an external process (as you suggest)...

    - 2) should be generated inside Texinfo code, by writing new TeX code to
    handle the source layout...

Well, to support all output formats, hacking texinfo.tex is not enough
-- clearly that would do nothing to support Info/HTML/etc.  We would
have to introduce new language features and implement them in makeinfo,
as well as texinfo.tex.  That is not going to happen any time soon, if
ever.

So solution 1) is not only preferred, it's the only way at present ...

All the best,
Karl