[help-texinfo] attribute ‘number’

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: [help-texinfo] attribute ‘number’
Date: Sun, 01 Mar 2015 12:42:26 +0100

I see that makeinfo 5.2 produces XML with the ‘number’ attribute
for index entry elements, e.g. (translated to SXML):

 (cindex
   (@ (index "cp") (spaces " "))
   (indexterm
     (@ (index "cp") (number "1"))
     "non-recommendation"))

This is from the fragment:

  my $number;
  unless (_ignore_global_commands($self)) {
    $number = (defined($index->{'index_entries'})
                 ? (scalar(@{$index->{'index_entries'}}) + 1)
                   : 1);
  }
  my $index_entry = { [...]
                      'number' => $number,
                    };

in tp/Texinfo/Parser.pm, which IIUC associates an incrementing
integer w/ each ‘indexterm’ element (for a particular index),
but only if ‘_ignore_global_commands ($self)’ evals "not true".
I see the source (also in Parser.pm) of that subroutine is:

 # return true if effect of global commands should be ignored.
 sub _ignore_global_commands($)
 {
   my $self = shift;
   return !$self->{'expanded_formats_stack'}->[-1];
 }

but before i wade in fully, i'll just ask quickly here: What
must the user do (in terms of command-line options) to affect
the ‘expanded_formats_stack’?  (I'm trying to figure out what
the IXIN stance towards attribute ‘number’ should be: ignore,
require, support but not require.  I didn't find any mention of
‘number’ in the NEWS file, although i did find address@hidden number’ in
node "Customizing Output File Names" in doc/texi2oldapi.texi,
which seems obsolete or on its way to being so...)

--
Thien-Thi Nguyen
   GPG key: 4C807502