Re: [help-texinfo] Standalone info as a generic info processor?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] Standalone info as a generic info processor?
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2016 20:11:38 +0200

> From: Alejandro Sanchez <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2016 18:08:16 +0100
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> > If the key bindings are significantly different, the info.info manual
> > will no longer be accurate enough, and Vim users will have no manual
> > to learn how to use Info.
> I know, but the info key bindings don’t make sense in Vim culture; for
> instance, in Vim you use C-D and C-U to scroll up and down half a screen, so
> using space and backspace is unnecessary and might break bindings the user
> has already set up.

Isn't it possible to have both Vim-native and traditional Info key
bindings?  That would kill 2 birds in one blow.

> I will provide a manual for info.vim of course and everything will have a
> corresponding analog, so if you know how to use standalone or Emacs info
> you’ll be up and running in no time.

But what about the cross-references from various places to the
info.info manual?  Are you going to intercept those as well?

Besides, info.info is not a small manual.  Does it really make sense
to write a Vim-specific version of it, and then maintain it in sync
with the upstream version?  I wonder.